City Plan 2016 – 2021
The City Plan 2016 – 2021 outlines five overlapping and interconnected themes, which will together shape Worcester by 2021:
- Stronger and Connected Communities: Make the people of Worcester feel they are part of a city where they have positive relationships with each other, where they feel safe and where they are able to succeed to the best of their abilities.
- A Prosperous City: Create sustainable growth from which many people and communities can benefit. Attract good employers, support existing businesses and ensure everyone has the chance to get the opportunities, training and jobs that they need. Work in partnership to increase the proportion of high value employment in the city and for the growing entrepreneurial city to contribute to the prosperity of communities across Worcestershire and to the sustainable growth of the wider West Midlands economy.
- A Healthy and Active City: Ensure that the city’s residents have a good start in life, enjoying healthy and fulfilling lives, through to a dignified end. Offer people the opportunity to be as fit and healthy as they can be by using all of Worcester’s assets, from the new swimming pool to the green spaces, to improve their wellbeing. Worcester will become an inspirational sporting city, hosting regular national and international competitions and boosting grassroots participation for people of all abilities.
- A Heritage City for the 21st Century: Retain the ‘essence of Worcester’, whilst accommodating the needs of sustainable growth and development in a way that is sympathetic with a range of views, needs and potential. Attract visitors to enjoy the city’s compelling leisure offer - from bars and restaurants to shopping and the strong cultural life – and to enjoy its great heritage appeal, through the creation of a heritage partnership, encompassing Worcestershire County Council, historical societies and others. All these elements will create a compelling Worcester package.
- Sustaining and Improving our Assets: Encourage people to recognise the beauty of the city and to work with the Council to protect, sustain and improve its environment for the benefit of current and future generations. Stimulate sustainable and sympathetic growth that is in tune with the environment. Create a city where people’s communities are enriched by the natural world.
Worcester City Council will deliver these objectives by creating a new relationship with people and partners that can simultaneously build a successful thriving and welcoming city. They will create a Delivery Board consisting of no more than 10-12 key stakeholders to work in partnership to achieve the outcomes of the City Plan. On an annual basis the Board will agree an annual report on progress with a view to it going through appropriate accountability structures.
This plan is dependent on working effectively with existing partners as well as creating new partnerships and relationships.
Credible, evidence-based measures will be used to assess progress on each of the five themes.
The Council has improved the way it manages its money. A more streamlined management structure has been put in place and a number of shared services established, with a clear focus on efficiencies and value for money.